Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott threatened to do it months ago, but now he’s finally gone through with it. Abbott has officially declared an invasion at the southern border and says he will “fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion.”
The declaration allows the Governor to defend the Texan border by sending immigrants without seeking permission from Biden or Washington. Abbott shared the breaking news on Twitter.
“I invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. & Texas Constitutions to fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion. I’m using that constitutional authority, & other authorization & Executive Orders to keep our state & country safe,” Abbott said, adding the following list of measures he is prepared to take:
- Deploy the National Guard to safeguard the border, and to repel and turn back immigrants trying to cross the border illegally
- Deploy the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to arrest and return immigrants to the border who crossed illegally, and to arrest illegal immigrants for criminal activity;
- Build a wall in multiple counties on the border;
- Deploy gunboats;
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations;
- Enter into a compact with other states to secure the border;
- Enter into agreements with foreign powers to enhance border security;
- Provide resources for border counties to increase their efforts to respond to the “border invasion.”
According to a letter that Abbott wrote to an Austin, Texas County Judge on Monday, it appears that the Texas Governor has the full legal support required to make such a move to secure the border.
Dear County Judge;
Thank you for the letter from your county expressing support for what Texas is doing to secure the border. As you know, President Biden has abandoned his responsibility to enforce immigration laws, and Congress has refused to hold the President accountable and has abandoned its own responsibility to use the immigration power given to it in Article I, § 8 of the U.S. Constitution.
Just two years ago, we had the fewest illegal crossings in decades. This past year under
President Biden, an all-time record was set for the number of immigrants crossing the border illegally.
Texas has forcefully responded to Biden’s open border policies by doing more than any state in the history of America to do the federal government’s job to secure the border.