The media, particularly CNN, MSNBC, and Reuters, could be facing catastrophic consequences for the way it covered Kyle Rittenhouse’s trial, the 18-year-old indicated on Monday.
“There’s going to be some media accountability coming soon,” Rittenhouse told Fox News during an interview.
When asked by Fox News about his thoughts on Nick Sandmann’s recent settlement with a major network for its potentially defamatory reporting on his viral encounter with demonstrator Nathan Phillips in 2019, Rittenhouse said, “Good for him.”
In November, the judge presiding over the trial of Rittenhouse slammed the media during proceedings, saying the “grossly irresponsible” coverage of the trial is “really quite frightening.”
In his first interview since being acquitted, Rittenhouse also addressed being called a “white supremacist” by President Joe Biden last year – a move Rittenhouse said amounted to “actual malice” that defamed his character.
“What did you make of the President of the United States calling you a ‘white supremacist?’” Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked Rittenhouse.
“Mr. President, if I could say one thing to you, I would urge you to go back and watch the trial, and understand the facts before you make a statement,” Rittenhouse said.
“That’s not a small thing to be called that,” Carlson commented.
“No, it’s actual malice, defaming my character, for him to say something like that,” Rittenhouse responded.